Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Don't Get Attached

Over the past few years, I've become very disillusioned with television and especially the fall premieres of new shows. Every year, the same scenario repeats. X new shows premiere. Y existing shows return. Z shows are canceled or otherwise ended prematurely. At the end of the year, this parade of dashed hopes, failed dreams, and unemployed actors leaves even the most dedicated fan (read: couch potato) wondering why to even endure the inevitable pain and suffering.

Last year was bad for cancellations of both new and existing shows. It was even worse for new and existing shows that I watched or was looking forward to. Let us recap those shows no longer with us except for in the recesses of our minds, Bit Torrents, or DVD.

That is not even to mention the handful of shows that I was going to watch but decided they would probably be canceled early on.

This year, I am on a boycott of all new shows for at least the first two months of the season. If after that point, shows are still on the air, I will consider going back and watching the previous episodes to catch up. It seems rather self-defeating to do so, but at least I won't be stuck in the same lurch of investing in a show only to have it ripped from me as a bully would take your lunch money on the playground, push you down, and walk away laughing.

At least I have the old favorites to cling to for however long they might last such as Lost, 24, and Prison Break. Perhaps this year, I may have time to check out other things such as Buffy, revisiting X-Files, anime, or perhaps I might actually spend some time with the family.

No comments: